Innovation for seamless structures
INseamless aims to develop innovative solutions for seamless structures, in order to respond to market needs and allow their integration into more demanding niches, such as the sports, fashion and defense sectors. In order to achieve the proposed objectives, three R&D lines are planned:
- Flame retardation and maximization of comfort;
- Integration of light outputs (for lighting or design purposes);
- Polypropylene meshes which can be dyed with reactive dyes.
In order to guarantee the success of the project, a consortium was created with complementary valences, consisting of 2 entities of the I&I system, with know-how in the intervention area of the project and 1 company, with all the valences and knowledge related to the development of seamless structures.
The INseamless project aims to develop seamless solutions which ally functionality to an appealing design, such as to provide a response to growing consumer demands. As such, the following goals have been identified:
- Improve the seamless meshes’ properties, with regards to flame retardancy, in order to allow their sale in more demanding market niches;
- Work on the comfort feeling provided by the mesh, in order to maximize the performance towards the end user;
- Integrate light outputs, thus allowing lighting and/or design purposes;
- Provide dyeing properties to polypropylene meshes, through reactive dyes;
- Facilitate the integration of the solutions provided by the INseamless project on the current SIT processes;
- Contribute to the development of new textile applications: novel textile products for an improvement in performance, for innovative technical applications and for intelligent textiles and clothing;
- Contribute towards the mass customizing of clothing and fashion, new designs, processes and product development technologies.
Project tittle: Innovation for seamless structures
Project number: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-033693
Approval date: 19 February 2019
Project duration: April 2019 to March 2022
Total eligible cost: 660 857.07€
Financial support EU: ERDF – 482 169.46€
Project Type: PT2020 – SI I&DT Empresarial – Copromotion
Intervention Region: North of Portugal
From the work performed in this project, it is intended that proofs of concept containing the innovative identified features are to be developed, namely:
- Seamless meshes with improved properties concerning flame retardancy and with the features necessary to promote a soft and natural sensation to the touch;
- Seamless meshes with lighting capabilities, allowing, on the one hand, to maximize the safety of their users in a dark environment and, on the other hand, to obtain an appealing and/or functional design;
- Polypropylene based seamless meshes, subject to staining through reactive dyes.
The proofs of concept planned herein will be implemented in the productive cycle of the promoting entity, culminating in prototypes with the intended functionalities, which can measure up to the demanding requirements of each sector they are destined to.