Innovative and Sustainable Biological Systems for Leather Valorization and Traceability
The project BioTrace4Leather aims to develop innovative, biologically sustainable systems for defect minimization and leather traceability. Specifically, it is intended to develop fillers and markers, based on the valorization of residues from the tanning industry, and from others in the leather industry, as well as from other industries, such as dairy products, as part of the new circular economy paradigm.
1. Research and development of fillers and markers, from protein fractions obtained from residues of the industries of the leather industry – collagen and gelatin –, and from the dairy industry (whey);
2. Development of incorporation processes of the new fillers and markers in leather for defect minimization and leather traceability, respectively, that guarantee the maintenance of the leather natural appearance, as well as its technical characteristics.
Project number: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-039867
Approval date: 12 March 2019
Project duration: March 2019 to February 2022
Total eligible cost: 481 508.70€
Financial support EU: ERDF – 359 354.52€
Project type: I&DT Empresarial – Copromoção
Region of intervention: Centre and North of Portugal
- Process of extraction development of different protein fractions from residues and by-products from the tanning industry;
- Synthesis of fillers based on the different protein fractions extracted and their compatibility with leather to defect minimzation;
- Synthesis of leather markers, based on the different protein fractions extracted, and their respective compatibility with the leather for traceability.
Project video – See here