Future Door Panel
Development of a distinct and remarkable concept for door panel
FDPanel project aims to create a human-machine interface, intuitive and targeted for the final user needs, providing new experiences (mainly sensory), anticipating, and following the new automotive industry market trends.
This project will focus on the development of cutting edge solutions in terms of the intrinsic architecture of door panel, decoration, comfort, and functionalization/sensing of polymeric solutions with direct incorporation in injection processes (IMD or IML). New illumination solutions and materials that present uniform light transmission will be addressed, and the visual interface of information/alert and sound elements (MEMS speakers and printed piezoelectrics).
Additionally, the aim is to develop new solutions to reduce the door panel weight without compromising requirements regarding impact resistance in a collision situation, and also decrease the assembly time through reducing the number of panel fixations, increasing the flexibility of the assembly process.
- Development of new door panel weight reduction solutions/processes;
- Disruptive and innovative door panel design that meets users’ needs;
- Development of coatings with thermal management properties to maximize driver comfort;
- Development of new acoustic solutions (loudspeakers);
- Development of different light solutions;
- Replacement of traditional mechanical buttons for touch and/or movement detection through capacitive and/or haptic technology (vibration).
Project number: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-070118
Approval date: 10 November 2020
Project duration: October 2020 to June 2023
Total eligible cost: 5 402 836.10 €
Financial support EU: ERDF – 3 385 973.68 €
Project type: SI I&DT Empresarial – Copromoção
Intervention region: Centre and North of Portugal
Development of 5 door panels with different technologies integrated, such as:
- Innovative and disruptive design;
- Door panel reduction weight;
- Thermal management properties to improve user comfort;
- New acoustic solutions to decrease space requirement;
- Different functional e decorative light technologies (backlighting, false light sewing and LED Matrix);
- Sensing systems with haptic and capacitive touch sensors.
Project dissemination in the following events:
- Automotive Interiors 2021;
- LOPEC 2022;
- Hannover Messe 2022;
- Techtexil 2022;
- Global Fiber Congress 2022;
- Automotive Interiors 2022;
- Tech4innov 2023;
- European Coatings Show 2023;
- Techday Doureca, CeNTI, CITEVE, INL, STELLANTIS, SIMOLDES.
Dissemination Activities: see here