Innovative composites with powder incorporation resulting from limestone cutting sludge
The project DUST + aims to develop composites based on stone powder from the residual sludge that result from the processing of limestone, with the incorporation of hydraulic or polymeric binders. In the initial phase, a new sludge decanting system will be designed, allowing the replacement of flocculant products currently used by others of biological origin. At the same time, sludge treatment processes will be developed to ensure their compatibility with the binders. Subsequently, the compositions for the new composites will be defined, studying and experimentally optimizing the physical, mechanical performance, and durability of the resulting materials. Specific compositions will be developed to allow the application of the composites by 3D printing and/or projection. In parallel, new products will be designed and projected so they can be manufactured from these novel composites and interconnected with natural stone elements, such as reinforcement sublayers, decorative pieces, and urban furniture.
The new composites and products will be produced in industrial environment and subject to extensive validation of their functional and environmental performance, guaranteeing the pre-established requirements and the proposed innovation potential.
1. Design and development of new composite materials with incorporation of powder resulting from limestone processing sludge;
2. Design and development of a new sludge decanting system, which will allow the replacement of the current flocculant products with others of biological origin;
3. Optimization of waste treatment operations that enable the use of sludge in the development of new composite materials, from an environmental, energetic, economic, and operational point of view;
4. Demonstration of mechanical, thermal, acoustic performance and durability of the new composites;
5. Design folders from composite materials with incorporation of limestone powder residues for projection and 3D printing;
6. Characterization and guarantee of new materials compatibility with natural stone elements, such as reinforcement sublayers, decorative pieces, and urban furniture.
Project Number: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-47076
Approval date: 27 April 2021
Project Duration: January 2021 to June 2023
Eligible Cost: 848 683.25 €
Financial Support EU: FEDER – 614 171.94 €
Project Type: SI&DT Empresarial – Copromoção
Intervention Region: Centre and North of Portugal
- Composite materials based on polymeric binders and incorporation of stone powder compatible with additive and subtractive manufacturing processes.
- 3D printing of the developed formulation for construction of stone reinforcement structures or decorative objects.
Dissemination Activities: see here
Project video: see here