Mattress guard for the prevention of pressure ulcers
The project ActiveRest aims to develop a textile mattress guard that allows an active actuation for the prevention of pressure ulcers through the relief of pressure on the user. The R&D lines of the project cover different expertise areas:
- Development of a textile surface structure with improved thermal and moisture management properties;
- Integration of the monitoring system composed by a sensor network completely integrated onto the textile substrate;
- Development and integration of an intelligent actuation system for relief of localized pressure at critical points;
- Development of a method of communication between the sensors and intelligent actuators;
- Design of a graphical interface, for remote control, to assist on the continuous therapeutic care and a central control with scalable capabilities for the control of multiple systems.
The constitution of the consortium took into account the requirements for the proposed development, including entities with expertise in different scientific and technological areas covered by the project: two companies Têxteis Penedo and Comfortkeepers, two ENESII entities CeNTI and CITEVE and IPCA [Instituto Politécnico do Cávado e do Ave].
1. Development a textile mattress guard that allows an active intelligent actuation for the prevention of pressure ulcers through the relief of pressure on the user.
Project Duration: October 2016 to March 2019
Eligible Cost: 654.967,03 €
European Union Funding: €
Intervention Region: North of Portugal
- Actuactors based on SMAs [Shape Memory Alloys] elements;
- Pressure sensing matrix;
- Textile piezoresistive sensors, textile cover with improved thermal and moisture management properties.