Skin Healthcare by Innovative NanoCapsules
he European project SKHINCAPS, coordinated by CeNTI, aimed at the development of safe and customized nanocapsules for the release of functional products in more efficient and cost-effective skin care applications through innovative and sustainable technology. Thus, the project was based on a pioneering innovation of products currently existing in the market.
Using this safe, sustainable and easily scalable technology, different active ingredients have been nanoencapsulated: phase change materials, a cocktail of vitamins and antioxidants and natural essential oils. The nanocapsules designed have three different release mechanisms to increase the effectiveness of the active ingredients. As proof of concept, different textiles and cosmetics have been developed with these safe and customized nanocapsules for skin care applications including:
Non-release nanocapsule first layer textiles – phase change materials – to improve thermal management and thermal comfort of the skin;
Nanocapsule creams and serum containing a cocktail of vitamins and antioxidants, the release of which is triggered by external factors such as skin pH, to enhance the anti-aging effect of end users;
Nanocapsule lotions and textiles loaded with essential oils whose targeted release allows the prevention or mitigation of bacterial infections in the end user's skin.
All developed demonstrators have been tested to see if their safety and performance meet the requirements of current regulations. The SKHINCAPS project covered SMEs from different stages of the supply chain and as such it was possible to foster strong collaboration between material suppliers, producers and end users.
1. Development of innovative, sustainable, safe, cost-effective and highly stable nanocapsules with different active and encapsulated natural ingredients using innovative in-situ nano-encapsulation technology;
2. Use of new stimulus-responsive nanocapsules for three different skin health applications (textiles and cosmetics):
• Thermal comfort;
• Anti aging;
• Natural antimicrobial control.
3. Validation, in relevant scenarios, of developed nanocapsules (safety and environmental impact [LCA]), taking into account existing standards and possible gaps in existing legislation.
Project Number: 685909
Project Duration: October 2015 to September 2019
Eligible Cost: 3.265.920,75 €
Financial Support from UE: 3.265.920,75 €
Project Type: RIA – Research and Innovation Action
Region of Intervention: Europe
Different demonstrators for skin care applications have been developed with the safe and customized nanocapsules produced under the SKHINCAPS project:
- Non-release nanocapsule first layer textiles (phase change materials) to improve thermal management and skin comfort;
- Nanocapsule creams containing a cocktail of vitamins and antioxidants, the release of which is triggered by external factors, to improve the anti-aging effect on end user's skin;
- Nanocapsule lotions and textiles loaded with essential oils whose targeted release will prevent or mitigate bacterial infections in the end user's skin.
Demonstrators were tested on volunteers to assess their safety and performance. The products developed under this project are highly cost-effective and, in addition to being natural-based, they also have a strong industrial production capacity.
Promotional Video - Know More
Imagens de Marca, SIC - Know More