Recycling of polypropylene based on ionic solvents
ISOPREP [Ionic Solvent-based Recycling of Polypropylene Products] project aims towards the recycling of polypropylene [PP] products into virgin quality PP through the exploitation of a novel ionic polymer solvent designed for highly tuned solubility of PP patented within the partnership.
ISOPREP project aims to produce recycled PP that possesses the following key advantages/innovations:
1. A performance identical to PP resin freshly manufactured from fossil sources;
2. Cost effectiveness in comparison with PP produced from fossil sources;
3. Reduced reliance of PP production on fossil resources;
4. A reduction on life cycle emissions and energy compared with the use of fossil resources;
5. It results from an entirely closed loop with negligible loss of solvent per cycle and hence negligible emissions thus non-polluting;
6. The solvent used is non-toxic and non-flammable in the process temperature range;
7. The recycling process removes dyes, colours and impurities;
8. Prevents sending end of life PP products to landfill and avoids them polluting both land and sea.
Project Number: 820787
Project Duration: October 2018 to September 2021
Eligible Cost: 6.921.935,00 €
Financial support from the European Union: 6.315.555,00 €
Intervention Region: Europe