Functional robotic printing on parts with complex geometries
The main goal of the VINCI 7D project is focused on the development of a robotic printing solution to print functional devices in 3D polymeric structures. These will be achieved by integrating multi-inks printheads (decorative and functional inks) with a robotic arm, combined with mapping technology and a communication protocol between the robot and the multi-inks printheads. Following these developments, the overall solution will allow the printing of electroluminescent and piezoelectric devices, as well as capacitive sensors in 3D polymeric structures.
The purpose of this solution is to implement a technology that promotes the innovation of products in the automotive area, contributing to an increase of design’s complexity without increasing the complexity of the construction and production. Nevertheless, the solution must promote competitiveness in the automotive area, and simultaneously it has to support the efficiency of the process, by reducing the time and the procedures, guaranteeing economic benefits to the printing industry in polymeric substrates for automotive applications.
- R&D of functional lines (conductive, piezoelectric, electroluminescent);
- R&D in printed devices (for sensorization, electroluminescent and haptic feedback) and respective control systems;
- Study, conception and simulation of the operation of printheads;
- Conception and development of the robotic systems for printing (includes mapping for 3D objects);
- R&D of architecture and integration process of several components;
- Thus, it will allow obtaining a 3D structure with functionals and decoratives functionalities.
Project number: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-045102
Project duration: August 2020 to July 2023
Eligible cost: 1.896.342,65 €
Financial support FEDER: 1.424.501,21 €
Project type: I&DT Empresas em Copromoção – Iniciativa Clube de Fornecedores
Intervention region: North of Portugal
The main expected result is a 3D structure with new functionalities, as capacitive sensing, haptic and luminous feedback. The interaction between user and object will be possible, integrating a multiplicity of interconnected developments:
- Development of functional inks;
- Development of printed devices (such as capacitive, electroluminescent and piezoelectric devices);
- Development of arm robotic;
- Development of multi-ink of printheads.